GGC Case Study Analysis Help With Solution
Global Gearbox Company (GGC), a U.S. taxpayer, manufactures laser guitars in its Malaysian operation (LG-Malay). LG-Malay guitar share sold to two U.S. customers, Electronic Superstores (wholly-owned subsidiary of GGC) and Walmart (unrelated party).
For profits remitted by dividend from LG-Malay to U.S.A., GGC is taxed in U.S.A. but a foreign tax credit is allowed by the U.S. government for taxes paid to the Malaysian government on there patriated dividend. The tax approach is to “gross up” the dividend received in U.S.A. by the foreign (Malaysian) withholding tax and corporate tax in that country. U.S. tax is applied on the grossed up amount, but there is then a deduction for a foreign tax credit (FTC) of the lower of
(a) U.S. taxes payable on the grossed up dividend (income received/(1-dividend w/h tax rate)/(1-income tax rate) and (b) foreign taxes deemed paid (by subtracting net dividend received from grossed up dividend).
For profits remitted by dividend from Electronic Superstores to its owner, GGC has 100% exemption from taxes, as is normal for parent companies which receive dividends from domestic subsidiaries. (That is to say, only Electronic Superstores, not GGC, pays taxes on the income Electronic Superstores earns).
As a consequence of the previous two paragraphs, Electronic Superstores distributes 100% of its income to GGC as a dividend, whereas the extent of LG-Malay’s dividend, if any, is dependent on tax considerations.
You work in the GGC group tax and accounting department, working on the consolidation of group accounts and also on “defence” of transfer pricing with the various tax authorities under the various recognized methods on sales from LG-Malay to Electronic Superstores. Following advice from GGC’s tax advisors, you keep a file of three transfer pricing methods acceptable to the U.S. tax authorities: using (a) comparable uncontrolled price method (b) resale price method (c) cost plus method. So far as the (a) the comparable uncontrolled price method is concerned, LG-Malay sells guitars to Walmart at a price of $150 per unit. So far as (b) the resale price method is concerned, Walmart pays applicable import duties in U.S.A. of 20% on its purchases of laser guitars and places a 50% mark up on cost plus import duty, selling them in its stores at a retail price of $270 per unit. Electronic Superstores also pays import duties on its purchases from LG-Malay. Electronic Superstores sells guitars purchased from LGMalay at a retail price of $270 per unit. So far as (c) the cost plus method is concerned, laser guitars are made by LG-Malay at a product cost of $100 per unit. The cost to transport the guitars to the United States is $13.50 per unit and is paid by LG Malay. Other Malaysian manufacturers of laser guitars sell to customers in the USA at a mark up on total cost (product cost plus transportation) of 40%.
How it Works
How It works ?
Step 1:- Click on Submit your Assignment here or shown in left side corner of every page and fill the quotation form with all the details. In the comment section, please mention product code mentioned in end of every Q&A Page. You can also send us your details through our email id firstname.lastname@example.org with product code in the email body. Product code is essential to locate your questions so please mentioned that in your email or submit your quotes form comment section.
Step 2:- While filling submit your quotes form please fill all details like deadline date, expected budget, topic , your comments in addition to product code . The date is asked to provide deadline.
Step 3:- Once we received your assignments through submit your quotes form or email, we will review the Questions and notify our price through our email id. Kindly ensure that our email id email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org must not go into your spam folders. We request you to provide your expected budget as it will help us in negotiating with our experts.
Step 4:- Once you agreed with our price, kindly pay by clicking on Pay Now and please ensure that while entering your credit card details for making payment, it must be done correctly and address should be your credit card billing address. You can also request for invoice to our live chat representatives.
Step 5:- Once we received the payment we will notify through our email and will deliver the Q&A solution through mail as per agreed upon deadline.
Step 6:-You can also call us in our phone no. as given in the top of the home page or chat with our customer service representatives by clicking on chat now given in the bottom right corner.
Features for Assignment Help
We believe in providing no plagiarism work to the students. All are our works are unique and we provide Free Plagiarism report too on requests.
We believe in providing perfect, relevant and 100% accurate solutions to the student as per questions asked. All our experts are perfect in providing that so as to give unique experience to the students.
We are the only service providers boasting of providing original, relevant and accurate solutions. Our three stage quality process help students to get perfect solutions.
All our works are kept as confidential as we respect the integrity and privacy of our clients.
- Physics Assignment Help
- Chemistry Assignment Help
- Engineering Assignment Help
- Psychology Assignment Help
- Online exam Help
- Marketing Assignment Help
- Arts Assignment Help
- Sociology Assignment Help
- Project Management Assignment
- Case Study Help
- Nursing Assignment Help
- Research Assignment Help
- Operations Management Assignment help
- Accounting Assignment Help
- Biology Assignment Help
- Mathematics Assignment Help
- English Assignment Help
- Business Plan Help
- Essay Writing Help
- Human Resource Assignment Help
- Accounting Homework Help
- Computer Science Assignment Help
- Finance Assignment Help
- Economics Assignment Help
- Statistics Homework Help
- Management Assignment Help
- Strategy Management Assignment Help
- Auditing Assignment Help
- Information Management Assignment Help
- Online Assignment Writing help
- Best Assignment Help
- Humanities Assignment help
Malay. OtherMalaysianmanufacturersoflaserguitarsselltocustomersinthe USA at a markupontotalcost (productcostplustransportation) of 40%.
1. Explain in your own words the objective of the three methods using (a)comparable uncontrolled price method (b) resale price method (c) cost plus method and explain how each works.
Determine three possible prices for sale of laser guitars from LG- Malay to
2. Electronic Superstores that comply with U.S. tax regulations using (a) comparable uncontrolled price method (b) resale price method (c) cost plus method. Assume that none of the three methods is clearly the one which should be used and that GGC is able to justify any of the three transfer prices if required to do so by either the U.S. or Malaysian tax authorities.Which one is likely to be chosen?
3. Assume that LG-Malay’s profits are not repatriated to GGC in the U.S.A. as a dividend. Determine which of the three possible transfer prices maximizes GGC’s consolidated after-tax income. Show your income statement and net
after-tax cash flow for the group at each of the three possible transfer prices showing one unit sold for illustrative purposes. Guidance: in the income statement transport cost should be part of cost of goods sold; import duty should be below gross profit as an operating expense;
4. Assume LG-Malay’s profits now are repatriated to GGC in the U.S.A. as a dividend. Determine which of the three possible transfer prices maximizes net after-tax cash flow to GGC. Show your calculation of income statement and net after-tax cash flow at each of the three possible transfer prices on the same basis as in (3).
5. Assume the same facts as in (4) except that a U.S.A.- Malaysian income tax treaty reduces withholding taxes on dividends to 10%. Determine which of the three possible transfer prices maximizes net cash flow to GGC, considering FTC as above. Show your calculation at each of the three possible transfer prices on the same basis as in 3.
Product Code :Case79
To get answer for this question, kindly click here (Note: Don’t forget to write the product code in comment section)
You can also email us at email@example.com but please mentioned product code in the mail body while sending emails.You can browse more questions to get answer in our Q&A sections here.